Seasonal Flavors with MVP: Meatless Main Dishes
Although we are unable to have in-person cooking demonstrations with MVP Healthcare, we are fortunate to still share the recipes. This installment of Seasonal Flavors focuses on healthy options for a main course meal without meat. See below for two delicious options that will help cut some calories while not compromising flavor.
Mushroom Wellington with Rosemary and Pecans
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds mushrooms, sliced (Stems are okay, except for Shitake)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 – 6 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (sage or thyme)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup chopped, toasted pecans (walnuts, almonds, or any favorite nut)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons truffle oil (optional)
- Nut milk “egg” wash
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- Optional: ½ cup cheese, grated (pecorino, gruyere, goat cheese, cream cheese)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, onions, garlic, and rosemary and sauté stirring often, until mushrooms release their liquid.
- Turn the heat down to medium and continue sautéing until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Once the mushrooms are relatively dry in the pan, splash with the balsamic vinegar and sauté on medium heat until all the liquid has cooked off. This is important, as you do not want a watery filling.
- Add the toasted pecans, pepper, and truffle oil (optional).
- If using cheese, add and fold into mushroom mixture.
- Allow mushroom filling to cool to room temperature.
- Place half the filling along the center of the puff pastry sheet. Roll the pastry up, and over, seam side down. Repeat with second sheet.
- Brush with “egg” wash and score pastry with a sharp knife. Place in oven for 35 minutes, checking after 25 minutes and rotating, if necessary.
- Remove from the oven when the pastry is a deep golden color.
- Allow to cool before cutting and serving. Garnish with rosemary sprigs.
Creamy Spinach Artichoke Hummus Pasta
- 1 – 12 ounce package of pasta
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 5 ounces plain hummus
- 7 ounces artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 4 ounces frozen spinach (about 1½ cups), thawed, squeezed, and drained
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning
- Black pepper
- Optional: Red pepper flakes, Parmesan cheese for topping
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Prior to draining the pasta, reserve 1 cup of pasta water for thinning out the sauce.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce.
- Add hummus, artichoke hearts, spinach, garlic, Italian seasoning, and black pepper to a large bowl and mix to combine well.
- Add some pasta water (you won’t need it all) to create a thick and creamy mixture.
- Add the cooked pasta to the bowl with the sauce.
- Toss to coat, adding additional pasta water to thin sauce, if necessary. Serve immediately.