Hawthorne Baking Class: Irish Soda Bread
Earlier this month residents at St. John’s Meadows community, the Hawthorne baked a traditional Irish recipe with a dessert twist. While enjoying a classic Irish playlist you can find here, residents made the delicious recipe below.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups of raisins
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and margarine.
- Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg.
- Stir in raisins slowly.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly.
- Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
- For the glaze, combine all ingredients together in a bowl until smooth.
- Once the bread has cooled slightly, brush over the top of the bread.