French Baking Class: Crepes
St. John’s Meadows’ assisted living community, the Hawthorne is starting off 2020 with having each month celebrate a different country. January is honoring France, which brings special baking classes, educational activities, and a travelogue exploring the city of lights, Paris, France.
The first kick off to learning more about France was a crepe making lesson. Our residents enjoyed assisting in the creation of the crepes, but the best part was devouring the delectable treat once assembled.
A simple, yet delicious recipe, makes this French staple easy to replicate.
French Crepe Ingredients:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 tablespoons of butter, melted
French Crepe Toppings:
- Fresh strawberries
- Fresh blueberries
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Vanilla ice cream
- Combine ingredients together in a bowl and mix thoroughly with a whisk
- Whisk the batter together until smooth, try to remove any flour lumps
- Heat a skillet on medium heat over a burner with butter in the bottom of the pan
- Take two small scoops of batter for a thin crepe
- Slowly rotate the pan to even the batter
- Fluff edges of the batter with a fork or knife
- Cook about 5 minutes, and try to flip the crepe
- Cook each side for about 5-7 minutes or until sides are bubbly and slowly browning
- Once cooked thoroughly, remove from pan and place on a plate
- Take two scoops of ice cream and lay in the middle of the crepe
- Scatter a few berries in the middle of the crepe
- Fold the bottom of the crepe up toward the middle and fold both sides around to close the crepe
- Top with a drizzle of chocolate syrup and scatter a few more berries around the plate
- Top with whipped cream, and enjoy!